Interview with Dominique Chaponot






Dominique Chaponot is an artist who resides in Olyphant PA, she comes from a family that loves Art.
“Any Art.”
Her father was a saxophonist, her Grandparents won an Award in a dance contest in Spain, her cousin is a Jazz singer in Paris, and her aunt is a painter in Cannes.
Below is the interview with Dominique and Entertainment Editor Tilly Rivers.

Interview with Dominique Chaponot
© Tilly Rivers, 2009

TR: Can you describe the process you go through when
creating a piece from start to finish?


DC: This is difficult. Let me see if I can explain. For example, I will have a vision of a landscape with a barn, animals and people, I will take a lot of photos that match my vision, between 60/80. I sort the photos, and begin to change color, add shadow, shape, l blend everything put some light here and there, so many thinks can be done when you have your imagination running like crazy ! If the result reflects what I have in mind I am happy, sometimes it could take 6 to 9 months before l like it.

TR: You have won many awards for your works. Can you give us a few examples?

DC: In 2004- I proudly took not only first place for my b/w but “best of the show” at the annual NORTHEAST PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB - EVEHART MUSEUM in SCRANTON PA and the NORTHEAST PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB - Photographer of the year. Awards for 2005 included WESTMORELAND ART NATIONAL’S 1St Show - PITTSBURGH PA. - Best of Show and THE TENTH ANNUAL SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY SHUTTERBUG- I won the “People's Choice” photo. In 2006, AFA GALLERY SCRANTON - Best of show, continued to win awards in 2007 and took first place for at the ENDLESS MOUNTAINS COUNCIL OF THE ARTS. A complete list of my awards is on line.

TR: What has been the biggest challenge in the work you create?

DC: My biggest challenge is to show to the people that photography is not only a straight shot, you can do so many different things with photography art, you can open a new vision in photography, it's hard especially with old photographers, they do not too see photography skill in my creations.


TR: Do you still see the magic when you create?

DC: Yes absolutely, I feel this pulse each time I create; last year I created “Midnight Transpennsylvania” it's the reflection of my dream on the night of March 8th, 2007. It was a delightful dream, the one you have only once in your life, the sensation of peace was so intense that I had the urgent need to do an Artwork of it. It took me more than 3 weeks to realize this work, 54 photos combined together- images came to my mind as if I was guided, somehow I was back in time.

I have a gallery in Olyphant today, but I am looking to move to Vermont, Maine... I would love to give lessons and pass my passion for creation, I always think that Art brings civilization, and I know they have a lot of Artist over there.

--end--
For more information or to view more works visit: http://www.dominiquechaponot.mosaicglobe.com/